Quote:
So was the 1st big breakthrough for LED flashlights: the Luxeon light 'bulb' by Philips, followed by the Cree LED light?

The Luxeon I by Philips Lumileds was the first "super" LED. The Nichia Corp. had been making advances with smaller 5mm LED's as well but the Luxeon really opened a new frontier. I remember buying an Arc LS, the first mass produced Luxeon light and I thought it was the cat's meow. But the new Crees blow it out of the water. The Luxeon I went through several refinements but it is no longer cutting edge. I think most will agree that that the Cree XRE Q5 is the hottest thing out right now......until next week.

Quote:
I saw that these Cree lights have aluminum housings since, unlike my G-4-base LEDs on the boat, they said they do get hot and the housing acts as a heat sink. You have any thoughts or experiences on that?

Yes, the body of a well designed light is also the heatsink. Some lights that overdrive their LED can become quite warm. Actually your body becomes part of the heatsink too as heat is transferred from the light's tube to your hand. While car camping I give one of my lights to my wife to use as a handwarmer!!!!

Quote:
Man, an $11 AA Cree flashlight -- what a deal, even if shipped OASBFC (on a slow boat from China). BarryP, on another thread you mentioned that Cree P4 lantern. Do either of you have one? Any opinions? For $14, I can give it double duty camping and as a backup anchor light if it's decent quality. Thanks for the info.

I have a lantern with a Rebel and it does OK. But when I really want light up my tent I just fire up a Cree light and aim it at the ceiling. Instant daylight!!!! Also, some LED flashlights are designed so the head can be removed to expose the bare emitter, which gives you a nice wide flood pattern. Instant lantern and a flashlight too.