I got a Pentax Optio W30 for my birthday. Water & dust proof. Doesn't specifically mention shock proof, so I'm taking normal camera precautions. Accepts greater than 1GB SD cards, which gives you a lot of movie taking time. Performance is pretty mediocre with low-speed (cheap) SD cards - great with 10MB/sec cards.

The microphone isn't great, but I believe that's because it is waterproof. You will hear the lens motor drive if you are zooming optically while filming. No noise if you zoom digitally.

Waterproof is real. My daughter has the older W10 and took underwater movies while swimming in a river. Movies came out great. I just wanted a camera that wouldn't die if it got rained on. Or that I can wash off in the sink.

Picture taking is good once you change the auto-select sensitivity to no greater than ISO200. Has lots of useful modes. Spend a little time getting used to mode selection and foolproof picture taking is a snap. Has a very good macro mode in case you want to take a picture of a bug, or a sliver in your thumb.

I have used it in the mid-30's, I suspect that it isn't the type of camera for cold-weather camping.

Olympus makes the ultimate waterproof, ruggedized, extended operating temp camera for less than $100 more than the Pentax Optio W30. I'm happy with the Pentax Optio W30.

Hope this helps.