If bears are going to be an issue, you should have a bear canister. There are several threads here on canisters-which one to get, etc. Some places require them. They can be rented if you don't want to buy one.

Your profile says you are beginners, so as you probably know, there are other things to consider besides clothes. I suggest reading The Complete Walker or a similar book to familiarize yourself with the basics.

Just a few things that come to mind-

Be sure you know how to set up your tent-even in the dark, how to start your stove and repair it if necessary. Take a repair kit for the stove if the manufacturer offers one. Canister stoves are usually foolproof, but liquid stoves may clog up. I had to disassemble mine on my last trip to fix a problem with it. Mine came with a tool to do that-don't leave it at home if you have one.

Take spares or a small repair kit with tape, some extra line, etc. You don't need a lot of stuff, just a few essentials, plus a basic first aid kit. Make sure you have stuff for blisters-Second Skin, moleskin, Vaseline, band aids, etc. A heel blister can really ruin your trip.

Know how to navigate by map and compass. I know a lot of people rely on a GPS, but they can quit working, get dropped, etc. A compass has one moving part and no batteries. You can learn to use a map and compass online or from a book fairly easily.

If the weather gets bad, stop and set up your tent and wait it out. Don't set up right near a stream or river in case it floods. Being bored in your tent is way better than being out in a bad storm.

Edited by TomD (03/14/08 01:57 PM)