If it's dark when the bear pays you a visit, which is most likely, it won't matter if your canister is transparent or not. During the day your canister will probably be in a pack (I don't see many carried outside) so.......it won't matter if your canister is transparent or not. There is no rule against painting your Bear Vault although I would not recommend it. Or put all your food inside an opaque bag. Bears can smell food long before they see it anyway.

If weight is not your major concern and you're not counting ounces I would go with the Garcia. It seems to be the most bombproof. Bear Vaults are nice too, a little lighter, no tools required to open them, and the transparency is nice for humans to find things. The Bearikades are great but go for big $$$$.

You say your trips will be short so a Bare Boxer may work. Now fully approved, light, and only $40.00 plus shipping. But they are small.

You may find this discusion interesting.

Then again, Yosemite and Sequoia have excellent, inexpensive canister (Garcia) rental programs. If you still want to buy, REI sells canisters and their 20% off sale is coming up soon.