I'm not overly fond of "camp time." So, I tend to stop along toward twilight (5 - 7 pm, depending on season), and often end up cooking in deep dusk or dark. After supper, maybe sit around for an hour or two, then head to bed for an early start the next day (on the trail by, say, 7 or 8 am.) That's lots of "trail" time - so do I do high mileage with my 25 pound load? No. I like to take a longish midmorning and midafternoon break, an hour or more for lunch, and have time to stop and enjoy a view or some other feature of the area. While I probably walk at a rate of perhaps 2 miles an hour, I probably only average a mile or mile and a half for the whole 10-12 hours between breaking camp in the morning and stopping in the evening.

To me, the ability to rest comfortably in camp is important. That begins with a thick sleeping pad (Prolite 4) and a chair kit. A comfortable chair lets me rest my back while I cook and watch the day depart. That means I'm relaxed when I go to bed, so I sleep better. I use a tent that allows me to enter and leave without a lot of twisting and turning, to sit up without scooting around, and to do some stargazing on a nice night - again, maintaining a relaxed attitude helps me sleep better. That nice, thick pad also means that I sleep more comfortably. All of this means I wake up well-rested, and ready to go for another day. (If you read the trip reports of some - not all - "bleeding-edge" ultralighters, you'll notice that they often mention fatigue setting in after a few days of hiking big miles and sleeping poorly.)

And, I enjoy a reasonable comfort level during the day: a pack that isn't unbearably heavy, a chair kit at those long breaks and lunch, and a tent that lets me pitch it fly-only for a lunchtime shelter in the rain. I also enjoy being able to drink without waiting, thus I carry a water filter.

All in all, I find that a slow pace and a little comfort makes backpacking a very enjoyable experience. And, I find that my backpacking gear is equally well-suited for simple, comfortable car-camping when I choose to do that - making that experience more enjoyable, too.