Hey I understand. I've got shelves full of outdated software that never was right.

That's where web-based software has an advantage. You can issue updates without a delivery cost to you or the consumer.

That's also why being a part of the "Beta Test" can make a difference. This is where developers really want people to hammer on the product and report their results so they can address them before release. But there is a saying in software development, "You have to deliver it a some point, bugs and all."

Software is not perfect. As a developer I can tell you that bugs happen. I agree that software providers should address those problems, but sometimes there is little they can do. A bug in a System Software or Hardware can cause your product to break even though your code is solid. My software breaks if you access it with some versions of Windows and Internet Explorer. Works great with Firefox though. I tell users to get Firefox if they have problems, I don't try to create a fix or workaround for every glitch in Windows or Internet Explorer.

If National Geographic can create added value and convenience to deliver maps I'll be supportive of that effort. It looks like they're trying to create an online community and resource for hikers to share trails and places to go with others too.

I understand the advantages and disadvantages of developing and using web based software from both ends. I've concluded that it's better for both providers and users to access software from a network when possible.

Actually, I envision a time when you can bundle a web based app and install it on any computer so it can be accessed offline too, but that's a different issue.

Bill