I'm curious if anyone can reccomend a solid boot for backpacking. i've done a few short and long trips in the past with just a normal pair of mid hikers. I've also spent two summers in the tetons as a field tech with these same boots hiking 5+ or so off trail everyday, light pack. Problem with these boots, within my first year the rubber sides started to peel away so i started shoe gooing them alot. Now the plastic heel cup has worn through the interior of the boot and cuts into my ankle bone a lot so i think it's time for a new pair (still super comfy though, but not suitable for "working" in).

This summer I am again a field tech, tracking bighorn sheep in the tetons. The work is going to be 7-10 day stints backpacking 10-15mi/day (lots of talus likely, snow early on too). I'm looking for a solid boot that first, wont be shot to s#%& by the end of the summer ( like the sole peeling away from the boot) and is relatively easy to maintain the waterproofing on (ideally gortex). I know any good waterproofing has to be done regulalry, but with my last pair i couldn't get the waterproofing to last more than a day or two in the field in damp/wet conditions.

Any reccomendations or advice is greatly appreciated!