In addition to this TNF tent, Sierra Designs also made a "pyramid" tent with I believe four poles, but maybe six. In a book about winter camping there's a photo of the SD tent collapsed by the snow.

The basic problem of a pyramid tent with fly is that you need a huge number of guylines and stakes, and even then, the fly does nothing to add structural integrity to the tent (unlike current dome tents where the fly is connected to the poles at the ground level). It's also difficult to get a lot of separation between the fly and inner canopy, especially up top.

Unlike a megamid, this TNF tent wouldn't be susceptible to wind blowing underneath the canopy and turning your shelter into a flying umbrella, but it still shares a problem with the mids in that wind high up at the point will knock the thing over.

But the main reason why I think this style of tent is no longer made is due to the fact that modern dome and tunnel tents are easier to set up, easier to incorporate double doors and vestibules, and more resistant to the forces of wind.

Having said all that, I would love to have one these tents for car camping.