I had my son outdoors hiking etc. starting when he was just a few months old. I felt sure that it would be something he would love to do 'naturally'. Turns out he has a few favorite activities (ice skating, boating, mountain biking), but generally prefers to not go outside just to play. We went probably 2 years without him hiking at all because he would flat out refuse to go. Now he'll hike if you have the appropriate bribe with you (rice crispy treats work well), but he doesn't go because he enjoys hiking, that's for sure. He does enjoy camping, and I feel sure that eventually he will come around on his own to enjoy many more outdoor activities because they weren't forced upon him. I think that if you get your kids outside and model outdoor activities as a good choice, but don't force them to participate, they will eventually want to participate. Some kids naturally take to it like ducks to water, and you are lucky with those. But not all kids are interested in being outdoors, and those are the ones that you just have to keep trying new activities with them until you find something they like.

MNS