I was a tyrant! My daughter had to "earn" her college money from me by going backpacking with me (an 18-day off trail route with some very challenging sections). No trip, no money. Now, what she says she was irritated about is that I did not let HER do more. She did all the fishing and I started the fire and cooked. She wanted to cook and set up the tent too.

We also did NOT have TV all the time my kids were growing up. So at least I did not have to compete with the ideal outdoorsmen on TV.

I took my kids out regularly when the were little and as they got older they simply were expected to still go. I did not treat my two daughters any different than if they were two boys wtih respect to outdoor activity. They still love to do outdoor activities. When my older daughter was a medical resident, she would work a 36 hour shift and then go fishing to "relaxe". I was always worried that she would fall asleep on her feet and fall into the river and drown!

To be fair, they grew up in Wyoming where outdoor activies are considered normal for kids. They also grew up before the internet!

Hang in there. Kids do change as they grow. Keep offering positive outdoor experiences and who knows, maybe they will come around.