Quote:
TV Man.. Bear Grylls...

Oh man...don't get me started about that unprincipled fraud. I was doing a little experiment in the back yard, trying to start a fire with the fire saw method.

Yes, he is a tool. I think it was Outside magazine that had an article on him a few months back talking about the controversy over many of the things he has faked. I boycott his show, but love Les Stroud.

Quote:
I think what makes it hard to do the "outdoor" thing with the family is that they aren't willing to forgo modern conveniences. When we plan an outing I hear, "I hope this place has hot showers." "I'm not going if I gotta use those smelly pit toilets again." "Does this campground have a store with ice cream?" "Is there electricity for my blow dryer?"

Well, you certainly have to pick your battles. I let my 11 year old son take a GameBoy, but he can only play it during "downtime" at camp. Can't take it hiking with us or anything like that.

I still say get your kids out there and maybe you can slowly wean them off some of the modern distractions. Most parks have a ton of activities that kids can participate in that help the time go by quickly. Find an activity, wildflower identification, geocaching, whatever that they enjoy and spend a lot of time doing it. Even if it's something that you are not that interested in.