Okay, I lurk in a lot of places. The question is "Why?"

I tend to find these forums in a search for information rather than a search for like-minded individuals. I still see the 'net as informative, not social.

Usually, I'm too late to be the first to make a point or offer constructive input and repetition is just redundant.

My attempts at humor are either too corny or subject to misinterpretation - very dry sense of humor, lack of decent sarcasm smilies. Although, the results sometimes appeal to my instigator side.

Specific to this forum, my experience is 20 - 25 years old, and only recently dusted off. While I can offer newbies the basics, nalgene bottles and packs with "hydration" facilities put me at a disadvantage. You should see my old internal frame pack that unzips like a suitcase to reveal my Coleman 502! Don't know that stove? Search eBay for "vintage camp gear". Much of my knowledge is similarly dated.

In that lengthy gap between youthful adventures and midlife desire to pass it on to my children, my knowlege was influenced by the military style of camping. If you want to learn about stand-to and canvas shelter halfs let me know. In the meantime, I'll come to you for advice on the safest way to carry my extra Coleman fuel so my son can have his hot cocoa and I my coffee in the morning.

My goals are somewhat different than the focus of the site. With a 6 year old in tow (more often in the lead) lightweight/longterm isn't such a concern. I did a 5 miler over two days with a 50lb pack (did you groan?) and was perfectly happy. The highlight was teaching The Boy to read a map and orient it with his compass. You're thinking "Map? Compass? Doesn't he know about GPS?". Admit it.

I subscribe to the idea that you should not say anything if you can't say something [constructive] nice and therefore, here anyway, I tend to lurk. I always thought of it as "ghosting" myself - "lurk" sounds too much like something out of The Ghost and Mr. Chicken!

Does this make me the most verbose poster in a thread that by definition shouldn't even exist? Have I lost my lurker status? Will I suffer the rage of the Banhammer? Should each of these questions be another thread in a different forum?