SERIOUSLY: LURKERS ONLY!

IF YOU POST MORE THAN 5 TIMES A WEEK, PLEASE ENJOY READING BUT DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS POST.

So Earthling mentioned in another thread regarding PBF that we likely have more lurkers on TLB than they do active members. I think he's probably right. But the point of this post is not a comparison between us and an obviously inferior pseudo-community resembling a forum where the only information exchange occurs surreptitiously.

The point of this post is threefold:

1) to go against my nature of passively reading information posted by others (read: lurking) and try to contribute to the body of knowledge that is TLB

2) to survey the number of lurkers in our community should they feel inclined to go against their nature as well

3) and to conduct an experiment entailing building something out of nothing.

By definition we lurk and post nothing (or very little), but in order to have a post for lurkers only, we must no longer lurk, but instead, post something.

Now this should be very interesting because I, for one, lurk because there are many members here which have much more knowledge than I do and are very free with it, so I feel that it is unnecessary for me to post in response to the vast majority of threads. But this post does not seek specific information. You can post about anything having to do with lurking.

Some suggestions include: why we lurk, what specifically keeps us from posting in a given thread, demographic information, statements of lurker solidarity, the function of lurkers, etc.

So there is the possibility for this thread to be very short (maybe this will be the only post) or very long, but either way, those that read will learn something about what I think might be a vital part of TLB forums.

Edited by bostonmtnman (01/31/08 06:02 PM)