Quote:
Engineering metrics are just that, but I can tell you that more often than not the more powerful engine will win the race.

There are ways to evaluate performance with various "real world" noise factors, but it is probably more complex than the average DIY'er is capable of dissecting. At least I wouldn't consider those with an understanding of factorial testing and setting up an orthogonal array to be average!

I wouldn't expect someone with the time or desire to do that kind of testing to be average either...

As I have been experimenting a lot lately with the effect of windscreens and airflow control with these stoves, I have found there is an 'optimum' burn rate for each stove which maximises fuel consumption. To me this is more important in the long run. Sometimes reducing available oxygen improves the stoves fuel economy, but also slows the heating rate down. If I'm not in any hurry, I prefer this as it saves fuel. A stove that can be filled with more fuel than needed and allows for the recovery of the unused fuel (eg feather fire or trangia) is also more efficient and economical on fuel. An overfilled stove also heats more quickly. A stove that has better stability is safer, especially in strong gusty winds or on uneven surfaces, and will also get more points in my book (eg feather fire, caldera cone, thermojet microlite compared to, eg, gram weenie). Simmering ability (feather fire, thermojet) is also a nice option to have. So I personally disagree that it's all about speed of boil in calm conditions. The best fuel efficiency AND fastest boil I have seen in test burns is combining an MSR windpro with a 2 quart caldera cone. This needs only 8 grams of fuel to boil 2 cups (500ml) water in under 4 minutes. But then again it weighs a LOT more than any of the other stoves, so that is something else that needs to go into my equations as to which stove is most efficient. A caldera cone also increases the fuel economy and stability of the thermojet and solid fuel tabs, yet totally stymies pressurised stoves, creating lots of nasty fumes and non-boils.

What would be ideal is to calculate the benefits of each stove sysem (including windscreens, fuel recovery, stability, total weight) over different trip lengths. Heck, if you had to carry 3 months worth of fuel, it might work out lightest to carry the windpro/Caldera combo. An overnight trip it might be worth just taking your gram weenie and hoping for calm weather and a flat surface to cook on. One week might be best with caldera system and Ti-esbit stand...the possibilities are endless and the pros and cons are endless.

Cost could be a whole other category of consideration too...