Quote:
False.

SPOT does not require a GPS lock for HELP or 911 messages. And given that you were totally wrong about that, I find your assertion on transmit power suspect too.
I would like YOU to pay attention...

SPOT is a sorry excuse for an emergency devise. It is slightly better than a cell phone. It works off of the GPS satellite system only when locking onto a location, which means there is no other backup in SENDING A LOCATION. I did mention in my post that it does send a signal through the GlobalStar system if the 911 button is pushed, but if there is no LOCATION info (i.e. can't lock onto four GPS satellites), the person(s) responding really won't know where the person is.

To say it's better than a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) that uses the Cospas Sarsat Sattelite System is pure ignorance. I would much rather have a PLB in a real emergency than a SPOT. In fact, I would rather have a signal mirror and a loud whistle than the SPOT.

I can assure you that the signal being sent out is in fact 0.6W, similar to the receiving power of a handheld GPS. Look it up.

If you have any questions concerning a PLB, I would be more than happy to enlighten you.