Quote:
I must possess an exceptional IQ and amazing sewing skills as I am able to use it successfully in my adventures so far. I must not fit the profile of your average subscriber.

Wow - you're an insulting guy. Over and over. That's really not necessary here, and not very becoming.

In any case, I see almost no positive reports on the SPOT, and lots of ones about problems. Just because something is selling well for the time being doesn't mean it's a good product, or that a majority are using it successfully.

Again, if you find it useful, that's wonderful - enjoy (see, no insults from this side). But I stand by the assertion that the majority don't.

SPOT did show a new model at the OR show that addresses some of the issues - we'll see how it performs when it makes it into the market.

Bottom line: the segment is an interesting one; a device that reliably communicates one's position, and which can be easily and reliably used in an emergency to request help, is a good thing. All the better if it proactively indicates that contact was made (which the current SPOT doesn't), and allows some customization of messaging. It's a sweet spot between a PLB and a Sat Phone, and definitely a market niche that will grow.