Quote:
Quote:
People who don't own one seem to be the naysayers - or people who haven't figured out how to use it.

I own it. I use it. It works.

IIf it works for you and you're happy with it, enjoy. But don't belittle those who find SPOT a flawed implementation of what should be a really interesting new category - they're in the majority.

Uh, noooooo, the majority likes it. In the very small world you orbit SPOT may not be acceptable, but there is a much, much bigger world out there. Last time I checked, I can buy SPOT online and at all sporting retailers. If SPOT sucked, as you imply, it would disappear quickly.

I must possess an exceptional IQ and amazing sewing skills as I am able to use it successfully in my adventures so far. I must not fit the profile of your average subscriber.

And I should add that my family loves it too. If you don't have loved ones - somebody who cares where you are and how you are doing, then much of the value SPOT adds is diminished.

SPOT will likely follow the technology treadmill of consumer electronics. If you wait for a "better" version, you miss out on the bennefit NOW. When the "better" version comes out - I'll upgrade, just like I do with my cell phone. This isn't a one-time purchase of a peice of hardware, like an ice axe that will last 50yrs. This is a purchase of a piece of consumer electronics that gives you access to a type of communication. I certainly expect this to evolve, but I'm in now. You have to make up your own mind why you aren't in as well.