Quote:
Quote:
In a scenario where both the EPLB and SPOT are unable to get a signal out, a SPOT user will have left an electronic "trail" that SAR will start from.

This in theory is great but from my experience with the SPOT the tracking feature is VERY unreliable. I've always left exact trail head locations and intended itinerary behind before a trip and SPOT hasn't really added much to that at all. On our last trip we walked along a river the entire time which meant pretty thin canopy and yet the SPOT still failed miserably at tracking us. We didn't have any tracks marked and on several miles of trails that doesn't exactly speed up a rescue effort much more than leaving a plan with someone. I personally think its a poor excuse for a tracking system, luckily I haven't had to test the rescue feature!

You are right. If you didn't mount it on top of your pack, and if you didn't find a clear view of the sky once in awhile, then the unit isn't going to do much for you. You would be better off drawing arrows in the dirt. But for those of us who understand and work within it's limitations, SPOT makes our families quite happy.

I'm not a dealer or distributor, and I gain nothing from Globalstar. I'm just a happy user of SPOT.