Quote:
I was wondering if you could talk to the lack of pitzips on many of the eVent jackets on the market.
I've been looking at the Westcombs but whats turning me off is the lack of pitzips.

Am I being dumb here? I know eVent is much more breathable then Gore-Tex, but for some reason (maybe years of marketing) I'm unwilling to put coin down on an untried jacket/fabric without pitzips.
I don't blame you a bit. It is a lot of money. One of the reasons Westcomb doesn't use pitzips is that eVent (the company) doesn't like manufacturers using pitzips. They don't think they're needed.

Some interesting trivia: when a manufacturer makes a jacket, they send it to eVent. They then go over it with a fine-tooth comb either approving it to be called an official eVent product (similar to Gore's Wet Weather certification) or rejecting it. Every jacket needs to go through this strict and stingent process. eVent considers Westcomb as the premier brand for them. They were incredibly impressed with the quality, fit and construction.

Backpacker Mag gave the Editor's Choice Award to the Specter LT calling it "the most breathable jacket they've ever worn". Although it does breath incredibly well (needs to be experienced to be fully appreciated), there are times when it can be overwhelmed. For this reason there are times when pitzips would come in handy. However, I have found personally while wearing the Specter when backpacking that I don't miss the pitzips. They would add weight and the eVent material breaths so well that the amount I sweat is tolerable. The Gore jackets I've owned are laughable when compared to my Specter LT.

Westcomb does make a couple of jackets that include pitzips, but nothing in the ultra-lightweight category. The two jackets are the Mirage and the Phantom. The Phantom is an amazing jacket intended for mountaineering. We currently have a group that successfully summited K2 and are preparing for another climb using the same Phantom Jackets and Bibs. The Phantom is a very clean, incredibly well tailored piece that is unique in the market.

The Mirage could be considered Westcomb's flagship piece. It was the first hardshell to incorporate the iPod controller (iMirage) which won it the Brand New Award from ISPO.

The Phantom weighs in at about 17oz and the Mirage is at about the same. Both use the most durable hardshell material eVent offers.