1. I sometimes hear about how poorly people have slept. Personally, a comfortable sleeping pad is the best thing to help get a good night's rest. Some people can take power naps anywhere, while others sleep hard because of all the hiking they've done.

2. I advise the use of baby wipes, in travel-size packs, every few days at least. I even use 'em on feet & armpits, etc. They're also good to have if you can't find any good water source for face & hand washing at the end of the day.

3. Having grown up in a temperate rain forest, I can say that things do in fact get wet... you basically pack things in ziplocks & stuffsacks and make do. It's really not so bad so long as you stay warm.

4. Some people think that optional things like shaving & using deoderant are important, but I figure that most people expect to "let go" when they go hiking for a while, at least in my group of friends. To each their own.

5. I've bathed a few times in the wild, just using a travel cloth & water. I've never worried about passers-by since I usually stick to the backcountry.