Quote:
Well you have a lot of good advice here. The Nikon D40 is lightweight & inexpensive. Look here http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus- it's the eye behing the lens that matters most.

I have Nikon DSLR's up to D2x & D700-love'em. Sometimes take a D200 or 700 backpacking w/1 zoom. However I have a Canon 650IS which is superb for a P&S.

For image quality megapixels are misleading, look at size of sensor if you are serious. DSLR's have much larger sensors than the P&S which means less digital "noise". Also the lack of viewfinder & RAW in P&S is enuf to make ya want to tote a heavier camera. Don't forget the tripod.

I had the same dilemma looking for a P&S recently. I needed something lightweight that could be made waterproof, without giving up all the DSLR attributes. I ended up with a Canon G9. It shoots RAW or RAW + JPEG, manual exposure, down to ISO 80, and has a viewfinder. After my river trip through GC, I have since taken it to Cozumel with it's underwater housing and have been impressed with it there also. It is certainly not a DSLR, but a pretty close compromise. I have been extremely impressed with it's battery life.

Edited by scottyb (11/30/08 06:22 AM)