I'm in a similar position re: the Canon 5-D. I'd like to have one, and the current prices have dropped to about $2300, or $3000 with the 24-105/IS lens. That's a thousand dollars cheaper than when it came out 2-3 years ago. But, a new version is right around the corner, and should have some major improvements. OTOH, the current model is great and the new one will be $1000 more expensive. OTOH I need to spend the money before the end of the year to get the tax benefit. OTOH I have a confirmed habit of buying a camera a month before its replacement is announced. Oh well -- I could go on like this forever and never make any pictures.

I'm still using 1-D Mark II bodies at work. They are three generations old, with no budget for replacement. But, they make nice files and still work well.

If your current camera isn't working properly, it needs to be replaced. The current model is a good camera. If it is, and you're getting images that make you happy, hold out for a few months and see what happens. Does that help?

--Ken