Native gear

Hello, Jim
During school years I was interested in Indians lifestyle, especially Dakota tribe. I don't know are there in USA aboriginal people preserved traditional lifestyle? I live in the Russian north; we have developed reindeer-breeding. Native people komi keep close ties with the surrounding nature. In present time native people komi wear fur clothes and footwear, wander round on tundra, pasture their reindeers, use reindeer teams, and live in national habitation made out of reindeer skin. The most of inhabitants of my town wear reindeer 's winter boots <<pymy>>. So am I because it's the warmest kind of footwear.
A lot of local people can processing fur and skin.

My husband is poacher...,sometimes, he
produce scabbard (sheath) made of elks skin and use it during hunting.

Komi people girded their long fur coats with a broad (10 cm) skin belt. Hunters tie to the belt all the necessary things, such as two knifes, grindstone, sometimes amulets. Unknown authors notice that number of beers fangs means number of new woman.

Knitting is very popular kind of woman handicraft. We can see socks knitted in national tradition (from rough wool ornamented with horizontal multicolored stripes) not only in museum. The widely spread patterns are: "frame";, "magpie paw"; and swastika. I'm not komi but I knit socks in local tradition and prefer to use dogs wool thread. My families wear knitting socks for skiing and winter trip. Men wear ornamented socks too.

This photo shows reindeers sleighs. Local people use wooden sleigh in summer too. Komi live in habitation "chym"; covered by reindeers skin.
Our guests Belgians disposed their photos and impression here: http://blog.atmospheres.be/?cat=20