It is very close to free standing. The front corners still need to be pulled out. My intention was to enable the tent to withstand a snow load, not so much to make it freestanding. With the mods the tent cannot collapse under load - unless something breaks or rips. Before the mods it would not handle any type of load without the two ends collapsing inwards. There is no vestibule - the inside length is something like 8 or 8 1/2 ft with a total floor area of something like 38 or 40 sq. ft. - lots of room inside.
Changes from original include: Easton poles, new pole along the length. cross over strap to stabalize the new pole (I split the seams to sew this directly into the tent body), pole sleeves to capture the new pole and stretch the tent length wise, and a pocket on the beak to hold it up and out from the tent with the new pole.
This being the Granddaddy of tunnel tents (about 40 years old), is was nice to obtain it from a member on this site for a very reasonable price and breath some new life into it. (I would buy another one if anybody has one that's not being used.)
Here are a couple of more pictures:

Edited by Rick (10/23/08 04:36 AM)