Quote:
Just to add to what you've said here Carter - Black Diamond does currently offer the Bibler tents in both the non-flame as well as the flame retardant versions. I recently purchased two Eldorado tents, one from REI and another from Backcountry, the REI tent is a flame retardant tent (probably b/c they have stores in most/all states and it helps them avoid legal issues), whereas the Backcountry tent specifies that "it is not fire proof and is not made with fire retardant material". An additional plus of the non flame retardant tents (b/c they are not coated with the chemical) is that they are a smidge lighter.

I wrote to BD about this. Here is the answer I got back:

"Thanks for the email. Most of our Bibler tents are manufactured in non fire-retardant models and for the 6 or 7 states that require it we make an identical fire-retardant version. The Eldorado model is available only in a non FR version. Any of the Fire-retardant models see an average increase in weight of about 8-12 ounces. I hope this helps."

Therefore, whoever told you one of your Eldorados is made of fire retardant material is wrong.