Quote:
The only doctor I've actually seen publicly advocating the use of sutures in the wilderness also happens to be the medical director of our mountain rescue group, and our new medical protocols do not include the ability to suture wounds in the field. Now, granted, if we're doing a rescue chances are good our patient needing sutures is less than 48 hours from medical care (probably less than 24 or even 12 in this day and age), but none the less...

I think perhaps Brumfield is in a rather unusual position traveling in a country where definitive medical care is quite lacking, and he may be the only person for miles around who has the materials and ability to suture... and I can't imagine a villager making a long trip to a village with a clinic just for sutures...

I'm curious Brum, what is your medical background/training? My dream is to be a traveling medic (in warm climates) after I get my PA degree.

MNS

Hi MNS, my medical training is solely hands on, no schooling. I grew up on a farm in the country, and watched family and friends, a few doctors included, stitch up people and animals often. Somebody would eventually wound themselves while hunting, whether on a barbed wire fence, or mishandling a knife, or tripping and falling on something sharp or pointed. I once watched my uncle sew up a cur dog from rectum to chest, including one intestine, after a big boar hog ripped him open. That actually was a fairly regular happening and I got in a little practice helping out from time to time.

I began carrying a suture kit many years ago after coming across a village child that had been mangled by a dog. She had been given no stitches and horrendous scars were forming. She had just been left to heal without much care and her wounds were infected and still bleeding after nearly a month. I convinced the parents to bring the child to a doctor friend of mine across the mountains. The doctor fussed at me for not being prepared to handle such emergencies on my own, gave me my first suture kit, and about three hours of lessons as he cleaned, debrided, and sutured the child's wounds. I have since studied everything I can get my hands on regarding first aid, field medical treatments, and emergency trauma care.

I did get some medical training through the Coast Guard when I acquired my Captain's License, and I stay current on all Red Cross training. I've only had to use the suture kit three times on others here in Mexico, fortunately not on myself. Medicines here (that are made in the USA) cost about half what you pay in the US. In most of the small villages prescriptions are not needed for medicines and what would be prescription only drugs in the US. The local drug stores are just one room right on the street front with a wooden counter running the length of the room. If you know how to ask for the drugs, or can write the name down, print the info from online, or bring an old bottle, they will sell it to you. I buy and carry syringes, a surgical scalpel, tissue forceps, suture scissors, disposable suture needles, absorbable suture thread, a needle driver, procaine, Novocaine, Lidocaine powder, penicillin, a plethora of prophylactic and oral antibiotics, and pain medications. Not for me, but for villagers I meet.

I have very close friends that are physicians in the states, and here in Mexico, and they are always on standby to answer my questions and guide me, or come to the rescue when I find people in need of major care here. I know more than one doctor that will hike for miles back into the mountains to treat sick or wounded villagers. They are a credit to their profession.

I could never do this in the US, I would be sued to no end just for trying to help in an emergency. It's different here in Mexico. People are grateful for assistance, and are not litigious. I of course recognize my limitations and never attempt any major operation. I'm simply untrained and not qualified. But, treating infections, removing debris from eyes, spiders from ears, treating shock, and stitches ONLY when needed, I can do. I can pull teeth too. Have done that three times so far. Thank goodness there are midwives in every village. Brum