No, I didn't miss the point. You miss my point. I'M one of the people you seem to be railing against. I'm a person who is new to backpacking, and learning about it from the internet and Jordan's book.

I think you are wrong when you imply that if they make UL gear available to the masses, then the masses will invade and turn UL backpacking into a "pop" and crowded endeavor.

That's simiply not true. Nobody who didn't already want to walk 10-15 miles in a day is going to start doing it simply because there's lighter gear available.

As for corporations, most people are rotten. That's a fact. People are generally greedy. The distinction is that the level of greed differs from person to person. I like to support local, american made products when I can. I'll even pay more if it means supporting the little guy and thumbing my nose at a corporation. But do you really think that Henry Shires or the guy at Six Moons gives a [Edited for inappropriate languge, please review forum policies for more information] about me? Do you think they sew tents and bivy's for the sheer love of it? They are businesspeople doing something they find less offensive than office work to make a living. To make MONEY. I don't see Shires or anyone else selling their gear at cost.

If I call up one of these local or small business guys and say that my wife just had our first child, and my car broke down, but I really want to go backpacking, so can he cut me a deal and sell me a tarp tent at cost, they will probably tell me where I can go. And it's not to the Adirondacks.

If these little business people were so good, well, nobody is forcing them to "sell out" to larger corporations. They do it because they are in it to make money, and make money they shall.

So my point is, I try to buy locally and from small businesses for ME. Because I don't like corporatization any more than you do, and I don't like what corporations do to the environment, to local economies (Wal Mart), I don't like how they treat human beings, and I generally don't think much good ever happens when people group together.

People new to this activity, like myself, can now reach nearly the same level of UL-ness as you with just a few weeks of experimentation and research online and in print, and I'm sorry if that makes you feel bad. Although the skill to use light weight equipment still has to be learned through practice. Maybe you can console yourself by realizing that even though I read Jordan's book cover to cover several times, I still will need practice and experince to go UL safely and efficiently, and experience can't be purchased at WalMart.