I agree with Ender: don't plan too much. You can hike the AT with virtually no planning and generally have a better time. I've done it both ways. The first time, I planned - out of anticipation, boredom and maybe insecurity. Most of it went to waste. Since then, I have planned nothing at all except when, more or less, I would leave and what gear to take. It sounds loosey-goosey, but it really is a lot more fun than obcessing over schedules and so on.

1. Get a good guide book such as the Thru Hiker's Companion from the ATC. Sales support trail aquisition and protection.

2. Buy the map set from ATC. Some go without maps, and they are generally not necessary except in an emergency or when things get confusing. I use them. Sales support the activities of the local clubs and are usually their only source of revenue.

3. Arrange for someone reliable to mail maps and prescription medications (if any) as you request them (just call them a couple of weeks before you need something). 14 days is time enough to get a small package through the mail. Have your mail sent to hostels or outfitters rather than post offices (which are closed 1.5 days out of 7, not counting holidays.

4. Use the money you save by not buying and mailing food and supplies to buy what you need as you need it. You can find almost everything you need along the AT as long as you are not too picky. Food? Spend a few minutes in a trail town supermarket planning and buying food to last until the next town, then spend a few more minutes sitting on the sidewalk repackaging it and meeting someone who will offer to take you back to the trail.

Remember, the how-to books MUST give you a lot of complicated information such as schedules and recipes and garbage to fill pages. Just do it. You'll be OK if you have any gumption at all.