I'll give it to you a bit differently Imager. Risk is something we all take and decide what is acceptable. I'm not sure I'd do that hike - I might, given someone good to go with. I'd be worried about my condition, but I might go with someone who knows my hiking abilities, and who I trust. I'd be prepared to bail if it
got ugly. Difference is I hike, a fair bit, and I've been on epic nasty trips and I know I can still smile and enjoy it.

On the other hand, I do take new backpackers out on occasion. and here's the deal. I'd *never* take a newbie on that trip. I don't take them on anything so potentially epic and unrelenting. Why? not because I think they're "not worthy" or any such macho crap. I simply want a new backpacker to have
a *good time* and enjoy themselves so they will want to go again, and maybe progress into other more challenging hikes, like this one.

My biggest concern looking at these posts actually isn't for your ability. the fact that you at least appear to be trying to do your homework means you likely won't die. I am however, concerned that your experienced group leader is thinking a lot more about the trip he wants to do, and is probably experienced enough to do, than thinking about the kind of trip you are going to have as a first timer. Sorry dude, I just know too many people who I talk to who say "backpacking sucks" because their
first experience was like that - Someone took them out with no thought as to their experience level, and of course, then ended up hating it - just like hauling big packs in a circle in the army.
Browse my pictures