tarbubble,

We are still actively seeking more info.

Erik our leader did me another favor by asking his hiking buddies.

".......I've gone on numerous Grand Canyon hikes with these guys. We did the Monument Creek trail 3 years ago and it was a very long trail. New Hance is shorter in distance but it's strenuous because there are very few flat areas. C.H. (first discussion below) is in great shape and an experienced hiker. D.N. is also an experienced Arizona hiker but not in the same cardio shape as Chris."

Basically, Erik forwarded my concern about the trip and these guys had their own opinion about New Hance Trail vs Monument and Hermit Trail.

Some excepts:
Erik... friend is asking about New Hance Trail......how would you briefly describe it?
CH... Unmaintained but well travelled.
Erik... do you like the trail?
Chris... Short and less steep than most trails in the park.
Chris... A good inital GC backcountry hike.
Chris... Yes.
Erik... you think it's less steep? compared to what?
Chris ... Yes, compared to the trails to the west like Hermit. New Hance does not cut down into the Vishnu shist - the canyon is not as deep in the east as it is in the west.
Chris ... Coming out of Monument Creek was much harder than New Hance. We did that in one day, Monument was two hard days.
Erik... so you think you're a geologist....vishnu shist......DN would love that comment
Erik ... Yes....Monument was tough
Chris ... Plus we had DN crying because he was afraid of the dark.
Erik ... he's afraid of the dark and heights.....
Chris ... DN does could not tell a sedimentary rock from a metamorphic or an ignious.
Chris ... Can you?
Erik ... of course
Erik... those are the 3 main types
Chris ... Plus conglomorate...
Erik ... how many times have you hiked the canyon?
Chris ... Hmm
Chris ... 12ish
Chris ... Last question for you...
Chris ... Is DN a JA?
Erik... Hmm
Erik... most definitely