I am a beginner and I am going on my first backpacking trip to the Grand Canyon with 5 of my neighbors in 2 weeks from now.

I have been reading on the web and doing dry runs and this is what I figured out so far, before even the trip started:

1) Backpacking is not camping.
I am too use to overpacking so that when my wife ask for something it is right there. (Thank God she is not going.. I would be carry my stuff and hers.. no offense ladies, but that is how it goes in my family).

2) Like in the first story with the Rambo guy.. I was in the Army too.. I had packed a handsaw and my M-9 baynet knife. My buddies already got their laugh and I am not bring them... hopefully I won't run into bears in the canyon.

3) The Great Deal I got at Costco on my 25 degree King size Sleeping Bag for $30 with a Flannel Blanket and really extra soft stuffing was not the right bag at 7.5 pounds and with extra ties could only pack down to about 2 basketball size. Figured out the sleeping bag was the heaviest thing in my pack after a 1.5 mile hike around my neighborhood. (Just brought a Matmor 15 Aspen for $40 (Dick's mismarked Sign and sold it to me at a discount)... big difference in price, size and weight).
*** Also learn, when you walk around the neighborhood at night with pack on, people think you are a homeless guy.

4) Brand new pair of $25 Nevados Hiking boots is not going to make it in a rocky unmaintained trail terrian. Was told what is a bone bruise and nylon shank. (Just brought a pair of Vasque Breeze for the clearance price of $99.. I know I am cheap.. and I can find the deals)

I started out a week ago at over 50lbs without food and water.
Now I am at 30 lbs with food, but no water.

I will be trimming some more items.