I've done many stupid things but will think twice before humiliating myself by revealing too many details. In my early years of backpacking I didn't know about the problems with wearing cotton. In fact I frequently packed all cotton. Luckily no harm came from it other than wondering why I was always wet and cold.
Two years ago I spent a couple of nights at an established campsite in the Cherokee Forest. The site showed few signs of recent use except for a large pile of clothes. Since I normally cook on an open fire I thought I'd try to burn the clothes to help tidy the place up. This pile consisted of 2 pairs of blue jeans, 2 large cotton bath towels and four complete sets (tops and bottoms) of cotton thermal long johns. It took an enormous effort to even pick up one of the items. First I had to drag each item close enough to the fire to dry it, then finally toss it in to burn.
Apparently four guys had gone camping or hunting and their trip had come to a miserable end. My hiking buddy and I amused ourselves by imagining the multiple scenarios that may have been involved.
And in the end I thought "There, but for the grace of God, go I "