I like your spirit - even if it is just mental! Check out my Muir Trail story. I talk about this stuff there a bit.

http://www.mchalepacks.com/ultralight/Detail%20Hi%20Rez%20Pages/Muir%20Trail%20Story.htm

I have not done it for awhile, but when I was developing My Critical Mass packs (CM), I could carry close to 120 lbs easily at 3 miles per hour on the flat. We used to do fast cruising workouts with 90 lbs. 90 is a piece of cake once you get used to it with a good pack. You have to toughen up. Going out cold turkey with over 100 lbs will make your feet delaminate! I'm sure it's entirely possible for people to do statewide sections of the main trails with a single packload. It just takes some vision like you are showing here. It will probably happen more and more. That's how the Space Shuttle gets into orbit - it's got alot of food tied to it.

At the end of my story I mention that I started off to do the Muir Trail as an unsupported thru-hike using only canned food! Sure, it was going to be a stunt, but many people think that just sleeping under a tarp is a stunt.

It's easy to see that what one person can't see any point in, can be someone elses calling.

Edited by micale (04/15/07 07:30 PM)