Quote:
I like backpacking fishing trips. Around my neck of the woods, there are some far off places with monster fish in them simply because they don't get fished that much. I like both fly fishing and spinning rods. A few rods I have tried and liked:

The rod/reel only weighs 10 oz, but the rod tube weighs at least a pound. I haven't built a rod yet, but I would really like too. Just have to convince my wife I need another fishing pole.

Doug

Doug,

Where are you finding the "big fish" around Kearney? ( I lived in Lexington for 35 years & used to fish the interstate sandpits quite often.)

I quit using a rod tube. I just put the rod in a sock and rubber band it together with my Tarptent tent pole. On extended trips, I'll carry two rods this way.

I have a Cabela's 5 wt. Stowaway that's a reasonably priced rod. The hardware is pretty cheesy but the rod works well. One of my favorite rods is a St Croix Ultra Legend, 4 wt, 4 piece. Another really fun rod is the Cabela's 3 piece, Three forks, around $50. I liked that rod so much I bought a spare. Several of my FF buddies cast the rod and promptly bought one. Little brookies are great fun on this rod. Bluegills would be a blast.

WyoBob