Everyone seems to be conserned about thier mistakes, and what to plan for, but what about those situations where Murphy's Law kicks in. Me and my son, who was only 5 at the time, were squirrel hunting in December. When we returned to my old 1971 chevy c-10 pickup the starter would not engage. Luckily I had only a small ratchet set and was able to pull the starter off. The teeth seemed to be a little worn but the shims were all the way in and I tried to start it four times with no luck. I never carry a cell phone but I have started to take one whenever I go hunting or packing. 20 miles from the nearest phone and about 35 deg, I decided to do what I thought was crazy, but it actually worked, I pulled the starter off again and wrapped the bendix about three times with duct tape, you could have heard my heart beating from a mile away, but it actually turned over, and i did'nt turn it off until we were in the drive way two hours later. Just another 1001 ways to use duct tape, i told a mechanic friend and he said to check my flywheel when changing the starter out. It took me three hours to clean the tape off the flywheel, but hey, We might have been in more trouble, if i had'nt. A real good tip is to always keep old belts, that have been changed, in your vehicle, i have thrown belts in three different cars over the years, but because i keep the old ones, i was always able to use the old one and get me rollin again. Never go anywhere without a ratchet set and in newer cars make sure you carry standard and metric.