I did a January hike in an area I wasn't that familiar with and got snowed in, and couldn't go back the way I came because of tides and storm surge. So I trudged out, and knew where I was on the map, but went the wrong way because I was hoping to get to a road I thought operated in winter, but didn't unless there was logging going on. I learned not try and get back in too much of a hurry because it only makes you even more stupid. I also learned not to carry so much nylon and metal, but to carry more insulation and food. I also learned things are alot slower in snow, even on a road, and when on a long slow trudge in snow it is worth it to stop for a full hour and a hot meal at noon in order to cover as much distance in the afternoon as the morning. I also learned that water can freeze in bottles, and streams, and when you are travelling slower you have to be able to melt snow and carry more water. I also learned how much fun it is to go on a long trudge in the snow, but that you can make a lot of stupid mistakes and have people unneccessarily worried even if you are able to maintain contact. I plan my winter trips with multiple exit points now, and I update my current location and travel plans daily on my voice mail by cell phone, or whenever my plans change, or whenever I am able to use the cell phone if it is a difficult area. Good use of cell phone I think. Also in winter it doesn't hurt to be familiar with an area, because it is still different and challenging in winter. In general, it is best not to deal with too many unknowns at once in terms of food, clothing, gear, skills, fitness, weather, climate, location, topography, people, etc.