As a Wildife photographer I can speak with experience there is no substitution for your tripod and no easy way to reduce weight....However all is not lost,,,There are Packs available for us photogs that also hike...yes you will still have the added weight of your equipment plus your hiking gear but it will be well organized and easily accesible...I would first start by checking out Tamrac and Lowepro for their adventure series backpacks...Depending on whether you are daypacking or going on extended trips a pack will set you back 150-nearly 600 bucks....but will be well worth the money paid....All these packs also have convienient lashing for your tripod and other added items....If your still worried about the weight of your tripod,,,Look into getting a lighter one,,,Gitzo offers several ultralight versions in their Mountaineer and Explorer series of Tripods....I've used the Manfrotto Monopods/Trekking poles and was rather disapointed with the performance both as a trekking pole and as a steadying device for my DSLR...

Another thing that is always a big help is find a partner to Hke with that doesn't mind sharing some of the load...My 9 yr old Boy has become incrazed about the outdoors and wildlife,,So he gladly treks along packing the less fragile equipment and gear..

One last thing is clothing as a Photographer clothing is really important and many choices are available especially made for photographer with tons of pockets and hidden storage space and also breathable and light to wear...One of my Fav's is from Swiss Gear...( The Army Knife people )