My impression is that an ACD could handle the rigors of a backpacking trip as well, if not better, than most dogs. They are neither too big, nor too small, and bred for a life outdoors in a hot climate. It will probably be better behaved if given some work - like a long hike - than if left at home bored.

Obviously the dog isn't going to handle rock climbing, but hiking over scree shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'm surprised how well my little Aussie (Terrier) can handle any climb that is more stair-like (as opposed to ladder-like).

I wonder if certain sizes, or breeds of dogs, are more likely to have abraded paw problems. Does the nimbleness of the dog matter?

A certain amount of abrasion is needed to keep a dog's nails trim, other wise you need to deal with that yourself. The kind of exercise that a dog gets at home may make a difference. One that only plays in a grassy backyard may have greater problems on a rock trail than one that regularly walks several miles on city sidewalks. I suspect that keeping a dog at a proper weight, well exercised, and with trimmed nails, will go a long way toward preventing paw problems on the trail.

My impression from seeing ACDs at off-leash parks is that they are the kind of dog that will tirelessly chase after a ball or frizby hours on end. On the trail, I wonder whether his herding instinct will result in exesive interest in wild animals, or whether he will be more interested in keep his pack (you and your companions) together. My terrier, for example, prefers to be in the middle of the group, and may hold back if one member lags behind.

paulj

Edited by paulj (07/12/05 03:12 PM)