Renman, Paul
thanks so much for the good info. I am a dog neophyte, funny even I can be a newbie at something!!!

I would never have thought of her paws being damaged and I spend a lot of time going cross country on bare granite above tree line. I also know nothing of dog first aid.

I wonder is it normal for a healthy dog to chew on grass a little? I think I need to spend a lot time with her before I can look at her and diagnose problems.

My dog is a cross breed with a lot of Dingo in her - she is an Aussie dog - a Queensland heeler mix. I learned that heelJimer means to nip at the heels of cows. Do you know how fast you have to be to do that without getting kicked? When we play if I quit and walk inside, she is right on my heel, not nipping, but with her head between my knees as I walk, and if I suddenly squeese my legs together she has already backed out of the way. Good breeding...

If I lived and camped somewhere safe for her I would take her, and I hope others do enjoy their dogs camping where its safe and cool, but I don't think I want to take her cross country with me, she would slow me down like a human partner and when I got to the solo rock climb, what would she do?