Lots of wonderful info on this site! Go down the right hand column on this page to "Site Links" and click on "backpacking.net" On that page, go down the left hand column to "backpacking gear checklists." Stgart with "Hiking Essentials" which is a version of the "Ten Essentials" with explanations. I personally have used the "27 lb., 7 day gear list," after I no longer could carry a 40-50 lb. pack. I didn't use the exact items (some of which no longer exist) but tried to keep mine comparable in function and weight.

Just below the gear checklists on the backpacking.net page is a link to an article for the "Beginning Backpacker." That's the best place to start!

Much of the material on the "backpacking.net" page is geared to the Pacific NW. I've also used it in the Rockies (Wyoming's Wind River Range) and northern Colorado). In any of these places, you can get snow and freezing temps in mid-summer.

There is also a lot of good info on Paul Magnati's web page. His info is geared to Colorado and Utah.

One important thing before going out on a real trip is to practice with your gear. The back yard (yours or a borrowed one) is a great place to try things out and learn skills. Not only in fair weather, but in foul--practice setting up and taking down camp in the rain, keeping everything dry. This is an important skill! If no back yard, try car camping at a local state park. Since you will probably have failures (that's how we learn!), it's safer to have your house or car as a warm place for a bail out.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/27/23 03:05 PM)