Originally Posted By DustinV
@arizona You could do worse than carry a Spyderco, but living near Golden, I may be biased. ;-) I love their ergonomic shapes and the thoughtful design of every part.

It looks like you live in a wonderful area, right next to the serious mountain terrain. There must be many fine adventure opportunities there.

The first Spyderco in my pocket was around 1987. They see things from an ergonomic point of view with performance at the top of their priorities. One of the tests I did was cutting the backbone out of a chicken through the ribs and pelvis with an ease that was surprising. After that, the veggie slicing on a cutting board and the wood curls, the edge had zero damage, no chips or rolls. It’s a very sturdy design too with super lockup and no blade play.

Those smaller Swiss Army knives are very popular. Colin Fletcher carried a little Classic on his Walk Through Time. He had previously carried a rather large Marbles hunting knife during his Thousand Mile Summer but found it not very useful. He also carried two cameras and lots of fishing equipment but never fished. His kit really shrank after those thousand miles.