Generally if one is experienced with sufficient skill sets they should be able to stay warm and dry without a fire. If I really needed a fire for some reason I can easily make one with no knife at all.

Backpacking is different than the bushcrafting types who camp right next to their vehicles. When carrying everything and hiking far away, weight starts takes on a significant meaning.
The standard size Swiss Army knife is what I’ve used for many decades of travel. I’m very comfortable with this in my wilderness that goes from saguaros to ponderosas right out my door with zero driving.

The Spyderco weighs 2.5oz which is heavier than some will accept but far lighter than a big fixed blade and sheath where some come in at half a friggin pound. However it’s still half an ounce lighter than the Swiss Army Farmer shown for size and it holds an edge forever.

Mobile food prep knife means it must be very slicey with hard veggies. Ergonomics are important to me but so is a very small footprint.

I like it to be able to carve wood though I’ll probably never need that.

And corrosion resistance is a must. I like a weatherproof knife. Sweat and acidic fruits as well as salami can quickly pit or corrode the blade and sharp edge. I’ve seen damage after one backpacking trip so I avoid blades with steel that don’t measure up. I don’t have time to worry about that with everything else going on.

Those are the tests and criteria mine must pass. But that’s just me and others will have their own criteria. The only thing I cut today was a bbq chicken Epic bar so girlfriend could have half, so way more knife than actually needed. Sorry for being long winded. The dog kinda got off the chain. Lol I’ll be good for the rest of the night.