For a good long time as a teenager I never used a tent, just lay back on my bag and watched the stars. Nothing really bothered me too much back then. I didn’t even have a pad. But now if I do cowboy camp it’s usually with the Snugpak jungle bag that has zip up netting at the face. The netting does brush my face and bothers me but it’s effective enough. I’ve heard the same of a black light making the scorpions glow. I’d rather not see them though we have seen them almost everywhere we camp, even at 7000’ once, an orange specimen. I don’t kill them as they are all around camouflaged. I’ve had them walk across my face a time or two. Lol I know people who do use a little bug net with supports, Adventure 16 used to make them, don’t know if they still do. What we ultimately did was get a Tarptent. They are fairly light and manage bugs well. I got the bathtub floor in mine but the bottom of the canopy was mesh and in the Ah-shi-sle-pah of NW New Mexico the wind brought in a quarter inch of fine sand that covered everything we owned. Finally got a Hilleberg Kaitum and hauled that backcountry bombshelter everywhere until the sand wore out the zippers. We find things we like but don’t think experimentation will ever end.