I just replaced my aging REI 6 person tent with a Eureka Space Camp. I have not used my new tent, so I cannot give a competent review. I will say what attributes we looked for.

As you mentioned I would have loved to have seen stuff setup, but the only option for that was a one or two REI tents in store. The one thing I looked for that was surprisingly difficult in a 6 person tent was full rain fly coverage. Our old REI Hobitat (no longer sold) had vertical walls and a ceiling at 7'6". It was great in California where it hardly ever rains frown In Alabama with four people and two dogs enough stuff was pressed against the walls that we woke up soaked after a night of rain. I looked for a full rain fly coverage, as much head and shoulder as I could get without breaking the bank. The Eureka Space Camp fit the bill. Two rooms would have been nice but the tents we found had flaws in other areas (not fully enclosed in a rain fly, too big, too expensive, poor reviews).

Other tents I considered: REI Basecamp (more expensive) and the Alps Mountaineering Taurus 6 (not as roomy, fiberglass poles).

Edited by BZH (05/02/22 10:39 AM)