I have a few old pieces of gear that are still good, most notably a pair of Trailwise Slimline sleeping bags. However, I have lighter bags now, so they don't get used much.

The most durable piece of gear is an REI "Teton" daypack that I bought somewhere around 2000. It was used almost every weekend until 2015, and almost every day since. It's faded from the sun, and has had a few minor repairs, but it's still going strong. It has an over-the-top zipper closure which has never failed. The bottom and partway up the sides are a canvas-like nylon or polyester (but not regular Cordura or ballistic cloth) that shows no wear despite years of use. The underside of the shoulder straps are a slightly fuzzy material, which, again, shows no wear. I wish I could find those fabrics somewhere.

Unfortunately, our whole economy is based on consumerism. I don't have the money to participate much, but I suppose if I did, I probably would.

It seems to me that gear manufacturers could do their part by not constantly making needless "improvements" to already good gear. I'll avoid the temptation to rant about that, but it is an annoyance, especially when it comes to shoes.