I have read through some of the conversation. I work with dogs. I am a dog walker and pet sitter.
When I am walking a dog and someone comes up on us...say on a sidewalk...I give the other person room to pass. I have walked dogs that are 100+ lbs and some that are 5 lbs. I don't let the dogs near other people, I don't let people near the dogs.
Both people and dogs need to learn manners. Too many times have I given someone else the sidewalk only to have them REACH for the dog. OMG!! Don't do that! You're gonna get bit or scratched! If you are required to have your dog(s) on a leash, hold tightly. Even the most well behaved dog(s) can get loose from your grip and attack. This happened last week when I was walking 2 dogs. The lady coming out of her house didn't see us, her dog did and the leash was ripped loose from her hand. Thankfully my loud voice and experience kept the dogs from hurting each other. Then I felt like a dummy because I didn't know that my dog repellant spray was empty. UGH!
However, leashes aren't always the best for every dog. My dog does well on a leash, but she has leash aggression. She understands a lot of words. I mean a lot! I can walk her down the road without a leash and use voice commands and she will do what she is told. Even when she sees another dog. But once that leash is on and she sees another dog....geez! Doggy Wars!!!
Take the time to learn about your dog. Get to know your dog. Teach your dog. Teach yourself.
Speaking of dogs! I finally found a dog carrier/backpack to go on the plane with me and take her to the desert and the mountain for a few days. Ill be training her to load up in her carrier/pack. I don't like leaving her behind in a kennel. When ever we get back I can tell it stressed her out. I feel terrible.