The two-sock system (thicker, wicking outer layer with a thin wicking liner sock) is an excellent recommendation, even though I've not found it necessary since switching to low-cut trail shoes. I've also had zero blisters since switching to trail shoes. (You probably shouldn't use trail shoes unless you're carrying loads under 30 pounds - but load lightening is a whole other subject.) With my trail shoes, I use mid-weight synthetic or merino wool socks, usually with padded soles of some kind.

The best way to prevent blisters has always been a well-fitted shoe or boot, though. And try to get fitted with the socks you'll use with them (sometimes switching to a different thickness of sock will help get the fit right, too.

If, despite that, you still get blisters regularly, try to notice where you get them. If there are a few places where they always seem to be, try covering that area with moleskin before you start hiking. Also, if your socks tend to ruck on you, stop and smooth them as soon as they do (and consider whether the socks are a size too large.)