Originally Posted By Kapol
As for electronics, I want to take only three things: phone, power bank, charger.

Great idea. You probably won't need a very big power bank. Use your battery sparingly and recharge as often as you can (as recommend by Balz above)

[*]Headlamp - needed. I am sure the batteries won't last the whole trip, especially if I use it inside the tent. Should I take spares with me or look for them in towns as I hike along?

You can plan on getting batteries in town. Just carry one change with you. Or, you could just get a rechargeable headlamp and use your powerbank if needed.

[*]Solar-charged lamp - although I could use it inside the tent, wouldn't it be enough to use the headlamp? Seems unnecessary to me.

Seems redundant to me.

• Backpack - after some investigation I decided to go with the same backpack. It's a Deuter Futura Vario 50+10. The spec says that it can hold up to 15-18kg and weights 2kg.
  • Shoes - I will most likely use the Merrell Track Glove 5. They are intended for barefoot usage but I have read that people are using them with socks and it works fine.

Deuter is a good brand, but what is most important is how it fits you and your gear. Same with Merrell. Fit is most important. Don't make a buying decision based on internet research. Make a decision after trying them on and seeing how they fit you. Even if you buy them through the internet, be prepared to return them if they don't feel good. A few bucks in postage is nothing compared to be uncomfortable for 20 days.

The standard advice around here is to buy your pack last to make sure your gear fits inside it and you can know how it feels on your back with the actual load.

• Trail maps - the Japanese Ministry of Environment has maps in PDF form for the whole trail. I will download them and take them with me.
  • Compact first aid kit - I will probably need this, although I am considering taking only painkillers, some bandage and fingerprint protection. There will always be a town close enough to get there in case of needing help, so maybe I don't need the whole kit?
  • Lightweight tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag - definitely needed.
  • Toiletries - I will need sunscreen and an insect repellent.
  • Quick dry towel - yup.
  • Sunglasses and hat - I don't wear sunglasses, but a hat is required.
  • Light-weight rope - could be useful for hanging wet clothes to dry off. But maybe I can just hang them on a tree branch or something?

All these points sound like excellent ideas. A little lightweight rope can be useful for repairs. Not a bad idea to bring a bit along

• Portable camping stove and gas - this is a tough one. On one hand, it would be nice to have one and be able to prepare hot food. On the other hand, I don't even know if Japanese convenience stores sell anything that can be prepared this way. I also didn't investigate how much gas would be needed for such a long trip.
  • Portable cup, metal reusable chopsticks, cutlery - I will take cutlery and maybe a cup.
  • Swiss army knife - yes.

• Put together a very small, lightweight kitchen (stove, fuel, cup, spoon). You don't need a separate cup for the stove, to eat, and to drink from. One cup can serve all three purposes. Have the ability to have a warm drink and heat up some ramen is a nice luxury.

What kind of stove? Iso-butane canister stoves are easy to use and very popular. You should not have trouble finding fuel along the trail. Any general store near a campground should have it available.

Another option is an alcohol stove. These are cheap, very lightweight and often handmade. You can buy from people online:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

or make your own:

https://andrewskurka.com/how-to-make-a-fancy-feast-alcohol-stove/

or... if your really crafty you can make a work of art.. and if you are super lucky you can meet Tetkoba along the trail:

https://www.youtube.com/user/tetkoba/about

Alcohol should be readily available along the trail, too (methanol, iso-propyl, or ethanol)

All right, now it's time to decide what clothes I need to take:

one pair of clothes on your body and one pair to change in to. For lower body, I like one pair of lightweight pants and one pair of shorts.