Thank you very much for all the responses.

I am pleased to hear that I should be able to pack much lighter than 20kg. I definitely don't want to take any unnecessary stuff which will only add to the weight. As for electronics, I want to take only three things: phone, power bank, charger.

I would like to discuss my potential packing list. I have already seen the link provided by BZH, so let's go through most of the items from that list:
  • Backpack - after some investigation I decided to go with the same backpack. It's a Deuter Futura Vario 50+10. The spec says that it can hold up to 15-18kg and weights 2kg.
  • Trail maps - the Japanese Ministry of Environment has maps in PDF form for the whole trail. I will download them and take them with me.
  • Compact first aid kit - I will probably need this, although I am considering taking only painkillers, some bandage and fingerprint protection. There will always be a town close enough to get there in case of needing help, so maybe I don't need the whole kit?
  • Lightweight tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag - definitely needed.
  • Headlamp - needed. I am sure the batteries won't last the whole trip, especially if I use it inside the tent. Should I take spares with me or look for them in towns as I hike along?
  • Solar-charged lamp - although I could use it inside the tent, wouldn't it be enough to use the headlamp? Seems unnecessary to me.
  • Portable camping stove and gas - this is a tough one. On one hand, it would be nice to have one and be able to prepare hot food. On the other hand, I don't even know if Japanese convenience stores sell anything that can be prepared this way. I also didn't investigate how much gas would be needed for such a long trip.
  • Toiletries - I will need sunscreen and an insect repellent.
  • Quick dry towel - yup.
  • Sunglasses and hat - I don't wear sunglasses, but a hat is required.
  • Light-weight rope - could be useful for hanging wet clothes to dry off. But maybe I can just hang them on a tree branch or something?
  • Portable cup, metal reusable chopsticks, cutlery - I will take cutlery and maybe a cup.
  • Swiss army knife - yes.
  • Portable battery - I guess he means a power bank. As mentioned earlier, I will have one.
  • Portable solar panel - don't need it if I am not taking a solar-charged lamp.
  • Plastic bags - needed for dirty clothes and to protect stuff from rain.
  • Ziplock bags - needed to waterproof the most important items.

All right, now it's time to decide what clothes I need to take:
  • Shoes - I will most likely use the Merrell Track Glove 5. They are intended for barefoot usage but I have read that people are using them with socks and it works fine.
  • Lower body - I think I will need trousers and shorts (I have no clue how many I actually need; my gut tells me that I need two of each - whenever one is drying off, I can wear the other one). One pair of trousers has to be waterproof. To save space, I can buy trousers which have a zipper mid-way that transforms them into shorts.
  • Upper body - I think I will need t-shirts and long sleeve shirts (again, I have no clue how many). Also a light waterproof jacket.
  • Socks and underwear - the only question here is: how many?

I will also need some more toiletries: soap, toothpaste & toothbrush, maybe a shampoo (although I can just use soap).

Please let me know what you think and if I missed anything. And can someone tell me how much could all the stuff that I should bring roughly weigh? Is it really possible that it could be 12kg including water and food for one day? All constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

Radek

Edited by Kapol (04/07/20 11:22 AM)