Thank you Rick, yes I'm sure there is a Log in there, probably an inverse Log. HOWEVER its too simple of a justification to spend money on new gear. lol

You must consider the weight and condition of the person carrying said pack. The pack itself does not get up and walk thus its actual "weight" can be only be thought of as a part of a whole. Regardless of the weight of my pack, there are atleast 5 maybe 8 pounds of gear on my body besides my pack and food and water.

Note the water part. laugh While we sit in our warm Winter chairs and bravely write about our camping prowess we forget some small things like trying to light a cigarette in a blizzard and the real weight of water. If you hike where I do, it takes more than a quart of water for a days hike. The weight of water quickly adds up, like food, but we don't drop food to make up for water, instead we are happy to pick up 4 or even 6 pounds of water and add it to our weight because it isn't dead weight that must be carried back home.

I had a backpack girl friend who would bring half a duck, bottle of wine, premade salads etc. We might actually carry in two 40 pound packs, but by the time we left, they were about 25 or less. I know it sounds crazy but she was a very entitled very rich girl. lol

So back to saving one pound or even two by spending $500. Its Lame lame If you are in fact a genuine high altitude mountaineer or something then get the best, but here's a thought:

You can pick up everything actually needed to camp at a thrift store for $50. Assuming no extremes in weather. I spent a summer once hitch hiking with little more than sleeping bag and a pack of matches. I remember getting a cheap backpack and then a few years later someone invented the waist belt awesome Then I got a blue closed cell foam pad and I thought that camping had finally become a gentile sport.
Jim